Daily Archives: April 13, 2011
Made this for May’s 21st 2 weeks ago because she wasnt too big a fan of chocolate…
297g sugar (I used 150g)
198g light brown sugar (I used 150g instead)
1/4 tsp salt
21g milk powder (I used corn starch)
1 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup plus a scant 2 Tbsp heavy cream (I used the light version 97% fat free)
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 egg yolks
600g biscuits (Digestives or Arnotts Scott Fingers)
- Whiz the 600g biscuits in a blender until all crumbly (or put the biscuits into a ziplock bag and smash it)
- Add the melted butter. Give it a stir and the mixture should be just about able to re-form into dough. If not add more butter but be careful of adding too much or the tart shell will leak and be greasy.
- Press the crust into each shell to form a thin, even layer along the bottom and sides of the tins. Don’t leave any holes!
- Put tart shell into the freezer for it to set while you prepare the filling
- Pre-heat oven to 175C.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, salt and milk powder.
- Whisk in the melted butter. Then whisk in the cream and vanilla. Gently whisk in the egg yolks, being careful not to add too much air.
- Bake the pies for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 165C and bake until the filling is slightly jiggly and golden brown for about 10 minutes.
- Bake longer if you want a firmer filling.
I dont have a photo for the cross section of the cake since I was not allowed to cut it before the birthday girl did =P But anyhow this is the super simplified version of the crack pie from (chocolatesuze) because the original one is way too complicated for my simple brain. Am definitely going to visit the original Momofuku Bakery and Milk Bar (207 Second Avenue, New York NY 10003) end of this year and I’ll let you know if both taste the same :)