Recipe: Bite-Sized White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cups

I know I was supposed to stay away from baking anything chocolate but mummy has been missing this since the first time I made it for her last year and she requested for it so I cant possibly say no to mummy right? And this ‘cake-cup’ is everything mummy likes- white chocolate and macadamia nuts. We have such similar tastes in our choices of indulgent foods, it’s actually scary. Exactly as the saying goes- like mother like daughter!

I tried a new recipe this time because I didnt want it to be as sweet as it was when I first made the original White Chocolate Macadamia Blondies which were a little too decadent and heavy. So I mixed things up a little and used less flour and less sugar this time.

Melting white chocolate is a little different from melting regular dark chocolate so do watch your flame carefully, keep stirring constantly and make sure it is on low heat at all times! Also important to let the chocolate cool for about 5min before mixing in the sugar and the eggs but not too long or the chocolate will start to harden up and it will be difficult to work with.

And melting chocolate reminds me a tad of these adorable chocospoons the bestie recently brought for me! Just pop one into a mug of hot milk and stir… melted chocospoons + hot milk = hot chocolate no? Delish! Im going to try and replicate these babies one day with my new heart shaped moulding pans which I bought recently.

And back to my white choc macadamia nut cups..instead of using a regular rectangular baking pan, I put the batter into my muffin pan instead so it would save me from having to cut them and you can just pick them up and pop them into your mouth! Simple, convenient and fuss-free.

The top layer forms a crusty surface which I absolutely love, it’s a nice contrast to the softness of the rest of the cake.

I kind of regret reducing too much of the flour and if you were to try this recipe, I would recommend you to use 1/2 cup of flour instead of 1/3 cup so your cake will come together more easily and not be too crumbly.

But if you like your white chocolate cups a little more fudgy, less dense and a whole lot of macadamia bits with each bite like me, then stick to the original recipe below. You’ll love it!

Ingredients:

• 300g or 1 3/4 cups of white chocolate chips
  • 60g or 1/4 cup of unsalted butter
  • 40g or 1/3 cup raw/brown sugar
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 50g of all purpose flour or 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp plain flour
    (but I would recommend using 1/2 cup instead)
  • 3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts

Directions:

1. Preheat to oven to 170C
  2. Grease a mini muffin pan (very impt! you will thank me after this)
  3. Melt the white chocolate and butter in a pot in low heat, stir consistently until mixture is smooth and put it aside to cool for 5 min
  4. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt and macadamia nuts together and put aside.
  5. Stir in the sugar and vanilla into the chocolate-butter mixture
  6. Add one egg and mix until fully incorporated. Repeat with the other egg.
  7. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
  8. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
  9. Bake for 10-15min or until a skewer comes out clean
Baking: Blondies & Brownies, Recipes

16 Responses to Recipe: Bite-Sized White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cups

1. Raymond says:

Looks so yummy! And the photos are great, especially the last one – magazine standard! :)

2. weixin says:

I know with video cameras, you have to take footage of white background/ paper to let the camera auto adjust. There’s probably a function on your camera for something like that.

By the way, I recently visited http://www.grinaffair.com – cakes in a jar, too cute! plus, it tasted really good!! go check it out if you are keen. it’s tucked away in a HDB void deck and don’t expect fancy ambience, it’s quaint and simple but the cakes and drinks are great :)

• admin says:

Omggg yes that place is on my list. It was supposed to be a surprise place to bring you -.- whoops? Was too slow. Hee anyway yeah I heard abt that method of setting ur white balance..will get down to trying that soon!

• Raymond says:

I stand corrected – white side of card for white balance yes, grey side for exposure. I tend to just use my eye :P

3. Raymond says:

White balance… you can buy a Grey Card to calibrate and adjust the white balance before shooting. Considering you are shooting a fixed set of objects in one (Masterchef:)) session, a Grey Card is certainly an option – $15. You can print one yourself too if you can find it on the internet, but you have to have a pretty accurate printer. As for the light source, it appears to be your window… to get a consistent light source, you can affix some tracing paper / matte window film to get a diffused light source from your window, the tracing paper can also slightly adjust the colour temperature of your light source to a cool white. Also, some of your photos are slightly overexposed, losing detail on the cupcake surfaces. You can overexpose the plate by + bracketing, but generally – bracket to get more tone on the subject of focus. Minus 2/3rd stop is generally quite safe and then you can push the highlights in post-processing. Many cameras nowadays overexpose “just to be on the safe side” in case somebody’s face in a holiday pic can’t be seen :P So you have to under-expose slightly so as to have more sensor information to post-process the pic. blah blah blah… ok enough from me, when can i try your baking? :P

• admin says:

Okay…I got lost at this part ‘You can overexpose the plate by + bracketing, but generally – bracket to get more tone on the subject of focus. Minus 2/3rd stop is generally quite safe and then you can push the highlights in post-processing’ :(

• Raymond says:

Ah it is not difficult at all. In most modes such as ‘P’ mode (Program mode) you can make the picture darker or lighter by “bracketing”, which is a photographic term for over or under-exposing a picture deliberately at set gradients. There should be a button on most cameras (even the $100 ones) that has the symbol +/-, press on that and turn the dial (some DSLRs it is the index finger dial, some it is the thumb dial at the back), and this makes the exposure jump by 0.3, 0.7, 1.0 f-stops etc. These intervals are relative to the current exposure determined by the camera, so it is easier than going full manual or shutter mode, as the ‘jumps’ are by percentages, and the aperture may also be adjusted at the same time. So +2 would be 200% brighter than what you are currently looking at. If you have seen some of my pics – my sunsets are often under-exposed to get more detail, and my macro shots often over-exposed to make the object of focus bright, and the surrounding so bright it is a wash-out, so your attention is brought to the object of interest. Hope this helps… it is easiest explained in person.

• Raymond says:

Try the tracing paper thing at the window – you get yourself a very inexpensive light box / diffuser, studio light boxes can be several thousand dollars each… tracing paper $1.50 for a big roll :P

4. Raymond says:

One more idea… some baking trays are just the right grey for a grey card… :P

5. Raymond says:

Oh yes one question – raw or cooked macadamias work better?

6. Raymond says:

Your chocospoons (& pic) are AMAZING!!! I stared at it for such a long time!

7. Joli says: