Recipe: Peanut Butter Hazelnut Torte
When this month’s SABH theme was first released a couple of weeks back, I was extremely excited because it was “NUTS About Sweets”! Especially since I had missed the previous two SABHs because I had been out of the country, I was definitely keen to have a NUTS theme this time.
I love nuts- hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pistachio nuts, walnuts, I am a big big fan. Love them in chocolate, love them in cakes and of course I love them plain. It’s the extra crunch that contrasts with the smooth velvety chocolate, the satisfaction of chewing them in a cake and the best wake-me-up snack especially in sleepy lazy afternoons.
I decided on a torte because I had never made one and I did want to see how a flourless chocolate cake filled with nuts would turn out! Would it fall apart? Would it be too dry? Would it taste funny? Or would it just be plain awesome and slightly less calorie inducing with the absence of white flour? There is no added sugar in my recipe and just a couple of tablespoons of honey if the bitterness of dark chocolate is not really your thing. So all in all, if you consider the absence of flour and added sugar and look past the fact that 4 eggs are used, this peanut butter hazelnut torte might actually be pretty healthy and even rich in protein! All hail the peanut butter!
And because we all know how much I love white chocolate, I melted a cup of white chocolate chips and spread it over the torte. It tasted great plain but even better with the white chocolate spread. Definitely not being biased here!
I even managed to finish 1/4 of the torte in one sitting because it was so gooooood! Of course, appreciating every morsel even more as I remembered the hard work I had put into chopping the hazelnuts manually because I had no food processor. But it was okay, I had even chunkier nuts in my torte and definitely more ooomph with each bite! Try this recipe and you will know what I mean.
Adapted from Pocak Panna
- 130g chopped dark chocolate
- 100g chopped hazelnut
- 100g honey
- 4 eggs separated
- 100g peanut butter
- Pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 175°C
- Chop the hazelnuts into tiny pieces either manually or using a food processor
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof dish over simmering water
- Whip the yolks with the honey and when it’s fluffy, whisk in the peanut butter, melted chocolate and hazelnut.
- Using an electric whisk, whip the egg whites too with a pinch of salt and gently fold it into the wet ingredients 1/3 at a time
- Pour the mixture into a pan lined with parchment paper and bake for about 30 min.
- Allow it to cool completely and melt 1 cup of white chocolate over the top and garnish with whole hazelnuts!
Oh yes and dont forget to check out my new FB page HERE and ‘LIKE’ it for more recipe updates!
Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – Nuts about Sweets
The SABH is brought to you by 84th & 3rd, Delicieux, The Hungry A Capers of the Kitchen Crusader, and Dining With a Stud.